Sunday, November 11, 2007

Just Make It On the Counter ...

Many years ago my roommate, "Charlie" Buck [Charlene], asked me how to make biscuits. She was in the kitchen, and I was calling the ingredient list from the other room while working on an art project for a college class. All of a sudden, Charlie called for help. Once she got to the liquid ingredients, she knew she had a problem. She had literally placed all of the dry ingredients on the counter surface [not in a bowl on the counter as I would have done]--thankfully she had stopped prior to pouring the milk into the dry ingredients. For years I smurked privately about her lack of expertise in the kitchen, that is until recently.

It's amazing what one can learn from watching the Food Network or from reading old and new cookbooks from different cultures and foodways than one grew up in. Somewhere in Charlie's background she had seen cooks making biscuits and other dough products using the well-method instead of a bowl. Now I am the one with egg on my hands!

Join me in my culinary adventures--it's like being a kid again …

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...